Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Houston, We Have A Problem!

This week at we studied the tongue. Now this is not a problem anatomy wise... I did that business a few years ago... strongest muscle for its size blah blah blah (my anatomy professor would be so proud of me). No, I am talking about the main function of the tongue.. speech. Words, phrases, sentences, communication; one of the main reasons the human species has come so far! The tongue is a POWERFUL piece as to why civilization is as we know it is. Now you may be asking yourself... okay so why is this a problem as is indicated in the title of this post? Well as Uncle Ben once told us, "with great power comes great responsibility" and folks, I am not the most responsible person with my powerful tongue! Oh don't get me wrong, I am an expert with it. It is my weapon of choice (like 99% of all females in the world). I can do more damage with my tongue in 5 seconds than I could do with my fist in 100 years. This is where we have got a problem! I have always been sarcastic. I don't mean I do it here and there, always. I am more along the lines of, came out of the womb being sarcastic, always. I am pretty darn good at coming up with that quick comment that has a bite to it. Some call it a gift, but after studying what the Bible has to say about it I think it may be a curse. I never really thought my words were hurtful but after enough sarcasm it is bound to tear anybody down. In fact the greek root of the word sarcasm literally means "the tearing of flesh"... YIKES!

I am going to try to be better about my words. I need to reflect Christ in my actions and I do not think sarcasm does a great job at that! Here is what the Bible says about the tongue! (I recommend James 3 if you want to read a complete chapter about it!)


Sarcasm is destructive[i]. It is an evil act against another[ii]. We will be judged for our words[iii]. Sarcasm kills ministry[iv]. If you are able to control your tongue, you will be able to control the rest of your body[v]. Sarcasm taints praising the Lord[vi]. We should pray for control over our tongue[vii]. Our words should be wholesome[viii].


[i] James 3:5
So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!
James 3:8
But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
Proverbs 26:19-23
So is the man who deceives his neighbor, and says, “Was I not joking?” For lack of wood the fire goes out, and where there is no whisperer, contention quiets down. Like charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire, So is a contentious man to kindle strife. The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels, and they go down into the innermost parts of the body. Like an earthen vessel overlaid with silver dross are burning lips and a wicked heart.

[ii] Jeremiah 9:8
Their  tongue is a deadly arrow; it speaks deceit; with his mouth one speaks peace to his neighbor, but inwardly he sets an ambush for him.
Proverbs 15:4
A soothing tongue is a tree of life, but perversion in it crushes the spirit.

[iii] Matthew 12:36-37
But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
Matthew 7:2
For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

[iv] James 1:26
If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless.
James 3:6
And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.

[v] James 3:2
For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.
James 1:4
And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

[vi] James 3:9-10
With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.
Matthew 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

[vii] Psalm 141: 3
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.
Matthew 7:7-8
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

[viii] Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to hose who hear.
Colossians 3:8
But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.
Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

No comments:

Post a Comment